[linux-dvb] Re: DVD playback support for VDR-0.84

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Schultz" <aschultz@warp10.net>
To: "Jean-Claude REPETTO" <jrepetto@francenet.fr>
Cc: "linux-dvb" <linux-dvb@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 10:59 AM
Subject: [linux-dvb] Re: DVD playback support for VDR-0.84

> Hi,
>
> Jean-Claude REPETTO wrote:
>
> [....]
>

> >>did it work with dvdplayer-0.5 or with my patched dvdplayer version?
> >>

> > I have tested dvdplayer 0.5 vs 0.51 . The 0.51 works better than the
0.5,
> > but there are the same problems than with vdr, even worse. The problem
on
> > the video disappears when there is no sound, and vice-versa. Perhaps the
> > sound processing is time-consuming, and my Pentium 200 is not quick
enough ?

> That is very well possible. The AC3 generates about 25% CPU load on my
> AMD K6-III 450. I was already thinking about load problems with AC3. The
> big question here is, is the CPU really to slow or are we just to late
> with delivering the stream.
>
> Can you have a look at the CPU load when replaying? I have some ideas
> how we could track this further, but i don't have the time to test those.

Hi,

I 'll look at the CPU load this evening. Is the "top" command the best one
to do that, or is there another one that I should use ?
I have also realized that I have not enabled the DMA mode for my DVD drive,
may be it uses more CPU in PIO mode than in DMA, I don't know ... BTW, which
utility should I use for that ? Does hdparm work for CD/DVD drives ?

Best regards,

Jean-Claude