[linux-dvb] [Fwd: Re: Galaxis DVB card installation problems]

Hello Rolf & list,

I hab been busy reconfiguring my kernel. (One of the issues was that the
ext3 filsystems was recognised as ext2) and also the missing videodev
for the insmod operation of the DVB/driver. It turned out that V4L was
not loaded as a module, but compiled with the kernel. This makes no
difference for the tuxzap applications. I am still not able to swap
channels. I get the error 'channel not found from tuxzap, and when I
test it with XawTV the responses are:

This is xawtv-3.64, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.8)
ioctl: VIDIOCGFREQ(8429711.500 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(268435455.938 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(0.000 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(0.062 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(0.125 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(0.062 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(0.000 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(268435455.938 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(847.250 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(839.250 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(831.250 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(823.250 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(831.250 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(839.250 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(847.250 MHz): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOCSFREQ(855.250 MHz): Invalid argument

I think i need to find out what all the other tuxzap tools do and assume
I have some reconfiguring to do. Is somewhere an extensive manual
available? The man pages are too cryptic for me.

Thanks for helping me out.
Ton van Baalen
Netherlands

The message below was only sent to Rolf, so here it is again for the
list too
=================

Hi again Rolf (&list),

After having sent the last email, I downloaded the latest version for
the DVB driver and did the whole process again, and eureka! I finally
can compile the tuxzap applications without errors. I can now launch
tuxzap, ntuxzap, tuxview (I have not explored any other). I noticed
however that i still cannot change the channels, so there might be some
problem left, or it is simply a configuration problem. I will look into
this further on tonight, I have to go now.

Thanks again Rolf
You have been a great help so far.
Ton

Rolf Siebrecht wrote:

> Hi Ton!
>
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Ton van Baalen wrote:
>
>> I did already have ncurses installed. But to be shure I downloaded the
>> latest version (5.2) and build the library according to your
>> instructions.
>>

> My instructions were intended to be related to the CDK library, available
> at http://www.vexus.ca/CDK.html . In my case the tarball carried no
> version
> info in its name and was simply called cdk.tar.gz.
>
>> Before that I removed the self made 'cdk' dir. After installing ncurses
>> I removed all generated scipts and ran ./autogen.sh again. During
>> execution of ./configure the following lines occur in the output which
>> made me look for 'cdk.h' and put it in the self made 'cdk' dir.
>>
>> checking for cdk/cdk.h... no
>> checking for /usr/local/include/cdk/cdk.h... no
>> ATTENTION: you need cdk for ntuxzap
>>

> Of course....
>

>> Now I made again 'cdk' sub dir in
>>
>> usr/local/include/ and put the cdk.h from the kernel in there.
>>

> This header file from the kernel source tree has got nothing to do with
> the CDK library that is meant here.
>
>> Then the ./configure file gives no errors or warnings, only that lirc is
>> disabled as expected.
>>
>> When I do 'make' the same errors as before are shown during compilation
>> of ntuxzap.
>>

> Of course.... You have no way out as to install the CDK library as
> described.
>

>> By the way, I have been able to compile tuxview, and tuxzap was already
>> present and can be launched. The volume control of tuxzap is indeed
>> controling the volume, I also copied the example of the channel list
>> which can be loaded in tuxzap. Only still no response from the tuxview
>> (or xawtv) application when I change channels.
>>

> Does tuxzap confirm changed channels? (Status messages in the lower area
> of its desktop window, and at the xterm where it was called from.) Or are
> there error messages? When you click at several channel entries in a
> quick
> sequence, does the black selection bar follow immediately or are there
> delay times of 2..3 secs?
>

> Bye,
>     Rolf

-- Type: message/rfc822
-- File: Re: [linux-dvb] Re: Galaxis DVB card installation problems