[linux-dvb] Problem with AUDIO_SET_MUTE

I'm trying to avoid that chirping noise when pressing "Pause" in VDR
while replaying a DVD (where the audio is converted from AC3 to PCM).

To do this I inserted a call to

  ioctl(audioDev, AUDIO_SET_MUTE, true);

when initiating the "Pause" state in VDR, but apparently that doesn't
work as expected. I would have assumed that this call immediately stops
the output of audio, until a call to

  ioctl(audioDev, AUDIO_SET_MUTE, false);

is made. To further investigate this I issued a plain AUDIO_SET_MUTE(true) call
while replaying a "normal" VDR recording (without actually pausing the replay),
and nothing happened (the audio still kept on playing). Then I did the same thing
while playing a DVD, and there from the moment I made the call the audio was
continuously chirping and video was jerky.

Could there be a bug in this driver feature, or am I doing something wrong here?

I'm using the latest driver (2001-11-03).

Klaus