[linux-dvb] Re: DVB in North America?

FTA ( free to air ) DVB in NA is alive and well!  It
takes some research and effort but there is lots of
stuff 'up there'.  All the commercial offerings (
DishTV/DirectTV ) use proprietary versions of DVB with
encryption with no real compatibility with the current
DVB equipment the can be found; but there is plenty of
news feeds and other types of broadcasts that are
available with some work.  There are no 'retail' DVB
cards sold in the USA ( don't know about .ca? ), there
are some commercial cards that are quite expensive (
think $1500+ ) but you can order a Haup DVB-S card from
'across the pond' and successfully use it here.  There
are some gotcha's to work around, but NTSC support is
in all the available software.  The latest DVB-S card
versions use a front-end chip that is 'brain-dead' on
detecting spectral inversion and so you have to force
that manually for some broadcasts.  The linux drivers
are now offering support for this workaround ( thanks
guys! ) and VDR is too, but its up to the user to find
and set this channel by channel.  The Haup/TT win
software has not addressed this issue; the majority of
the W. Europe transmissions use the same setting ( off?
) and so the win developers have not discovered this
flaw ( or don't care to fix it ); you can do it fine
with the linux drivers now though.  All of the install
defaults are for PAL so you have some extra install
changes to make as well to get NTSC, but it works!
Pcupgrader.com will ship to the US ( maybe .ca too ),
thats where I got my DVB-S and Nova cards.  Check out
the Delphi MPEG2-DVB forum for tons of good info &
help.

Enjoy!

    Bill