[linux-dvb] Re: DVB stream to DivX HOWTO

>  Linux k-2.2.19, dvb-0.8.2. No vdr available. mpegtools tried so far,
> without success.

I'm using the 0.9 DVB driver. If I remember correctly, the output data is
not exactly the same as with the 0.8 driver, so you probably have to perform
some inital conversions on the data you got from the card. Anyway, here is
what I do:

1. Record show with VDR
2. Copy file (e.g. 001.vdr) to Windows PC, rename it to 001.mpg (just for
convenience)
3. demultiplex file with PVAStrumento
4. Convert MPEG audio to AVI with Audio Converter
5. Convert MPEG video with DVD2AVI (important: use "Save project", not "Save
AVI")
6. Load the project saved from DVD2AVI into VFAPIConv and save it as AVI
(the VFAPI reader/codec will read the MPEG data and make it available to
applications that support only AVI input, IIRC)
7. Start VirtualDub, load VFAPI file as video and the WAV output from Audio
Converter as audio
8. Apply some filters, set video and audio compression, save as AVI, wait

This solution needs quite a lot of disk space and you most likely will run
into file size limitations if you recording is too long, but it works very
reliably (at least for me ;-) and I haven't had any problems (A/V sync,
corrupt files etc.) with it so far.

Regards,
hh