[linux-dvb] Re: Call for help on CI problems

Henning Holtschneider writes:
 > Ralph Metzler wrote:
 >
 > > Since the CI protocol itself does not contribute anything to the
 > > actual security of the system this is purely about security through
 > > obscurity (which IMHO is worthless) but, again, IANAL. The publication
 > > of information and code related to such sensitive areas has to be
 > > considered carefully or it could hurt us very much.
 >
 > Do you have to release code that could be abused? If I understand correctly,
 > all the sensitive parts are in the firmware anyway, that's way nobody has
 > been able to improve the CI support?!

I was referring to the possible legal problems with an open-source
implementation of a CI driver.

 > I know that the legal aspects have to be carefully considered; especially
 > because Convergence wants to do business with hardware manufacturers and
 > content providers ;-) - but your driver is just one of several ways to watch
 > encrypted programs using a DVB PC card. The other software manufacturers
 > don't seem to have legal problems with their CA-enabled software. If I just
 > want to watch encrypted programs illegaly, there are certainly easier ways
 > than using a Linux PC anyway.

Other manufacturers with CA-enabled software do not publish their
sources and if you want to implement a software CAM you need to get
a licence from the owner of the crypto system.
So, again, I only mean problems with open-sourcing it.

We did not fix the old CI support until now for several reasons:
- lack of customers who need it
- no hardware: I never saw a Viaccess, Alphacrypt, Cryptoworks,
               Irdeto 4.8xyz, ... CAM
- no time: those projects with customers of course come first

Ralph