[linux-dvb] Re: using ffmpeg on /dev/video

Roland Praml writes:

 > > For divx encoding you should use a program like ffmpeg that uses v4l,
 > > i.e. /dev/video. You will save a lot of CPU power, if you don't have
 > > to decode and maybe even rescale the MPEG stream.
 > > At the moment you will only be able to use YUV422, I just checked in a
 > > fix, so that ffmpeg works for me.
 >
 > Did I understand it right:
 > -You use the DVB-Card to decode a MPEG2-Stream.
 > -The decoded picture/frames can be read from /dev/video
 > -this frames are encoded to divx?
 >
 > Roland

I am not doing that, but it is possible. I was talking about recording
a running program, but replaying an MPEG and recording it as divx
should also work. It will never be faster than realtime, though.
But realtime could be faster than doing the decoding, scaling and encoding by
CPU depending on your CPU.

Marcus