[linux-dvb] Re: XML Channel file format

Dave Chapman writes:
 > On Saturday 24 November 2001 14:22, mocm@convergence.de wrote:
 > > Someone already asked about XML a while ago and wanted to suggest a
 > > format, but I haven't heard from him.
 >
 > That was me about a year ago.
 >
 > I have written a program that dumps the DVB SI information (PAT/PMT/SDT) into
 > an XML file.  This file contains _everything_ in the DVB SI.
 >
 > An example follows:
 >
 > <?xml version="1.0"?>
 > <satellite>
 > <transponder freq="11508000" srate="27500000" polarity="H" >
 > <service id="50600" ca="1">
 > <description tag="0x48" type="1" provider_name="BSkyB" service_name="Fashion
 > TV" />
 > <stream type="2" pid="2310">
 > </stream>
 > <stream type="4" pid="2311">
 > <iso_639 language="eng" type="0" />
 > </stream>
 > <stream type="4" pid="2312">
 > <iso_639 language="fre" type="0" />
 > </stream>
 > </service>
 > </satellite>
 >
 > I have a program (using libxml from the Gnome project) which parses these
 > files and generates a VDR channels.conf.
 >
 > I'll try and release something later today.  The XML contains far too much
 > information (the example above has some elements removed), but it may be
 > useful to start.

The extra information is ok. I could write a program that just parses
the relevant information for the libdvb and ignores the rest. We may
need something for the LNB information, though. I don't want to use
any extra libraries, because I want to keep libdvb simple.

There is an example for a conversion program that uses the lyngsat
tables for the Nokia receivers and turns them into .dvbrc. My first
step would be to write something like that and keep both formats for a
while and then phase out the old one and switch to XML.

Marcus