[linux-dvb] USB HD enough to record movies?

Gregoire Favre writes:
 > =

 > Hello,
 > =

 > I am on the point on bying another HD, does USB have enough "speed" to=

 > reccord without problem?
 > =

 > Thanks,
 > =

 > 	Gr=E9goire
 > http://ulima.unil.ch/greg ICQ:16624071 mailto:greg@ulima.unil.ch
 > =

 > =

 > -- =

 > Info:
ux-dvb" as subject.
 > =

USBs maximum speed is 11MBit/s. That's not much, if you consider
overhead and the fact that you won't write at an even pace.
I would get a firewire card (about 50 Euro) and a firewire case (100
Euro) for a cheap IDE Disk (80GB about 190 Euro). There you have a
maximum of 400MBit/sec and that's more than enough. There are also
some combination cases which have USB and firewire. I use my firewire
disk primarily for backups, but I see no reason why it should not be
fine for recording. You have to have the right drivers though, the
ieee1394 is still beta and once in a while you will get a version that
doesn't work :(.

Marcus

-- =

Dr. Marcus Metzler                             =

mocm@netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de
mocm@convergence.de                    http://www.convergence.de

Convergence Integrated Media GmbH          =

Rosenthaler Str. 51                   =

D-10178 Berlin                             =