[linux-dvb] DVB-C

Hi,

I'm thinking of dipping into DVB as a hobby for the long winter
evenings, and
I was hoping the clever people on this list could help me with the
following
questions: I live in the UK and subscribe to ntl digital cable.

1. How standard is DVB-C? Are there country-specific issues like with
DVB-T?

2. Would you think there is a chance that they transmit free-to-air
channels
    (BBC, ITV, etc) unencrypted. Or would they be likely to just encrypt
everything
    since they have full control over the cable network anyway?

I don't think I can buy DVB-C cards in the UK, but I get one from e.g.
Germany,
is there a chance it might work? And if I do and it doesn't, will
somebody on
the list buy it from me? :-)

Finally, it is probably to much to hope that anybody knows which
encryption
system ntl is using? Or where I can find this out?

Regards,
Ingvar