[linux-dvb] Re: Hauppauge Wintv Nova and mplayer

On Wednesday 05 December 2001 02:14, Mirko Roller wrote:
> I start tuxzap , and switch to hessen 3, press the dvb button.
> #cat /dev/ost/dvr > vide.ts
> #tspids vide.ts
> tspids
> Reading vide.ts
> 301 302
> #ts2ps vide.ts 301 302 > video.ps
> #mplayer video.ps
>
> Yes... a Picture with sound .....
>
> How can i do this, without the hd file ???
> The pipes seem to corrupt the data ...

I used to have a similar problem when using my "dvbstream" application which
RTP-streams the TS from /dev/ost/dvr over the network. I too used to dump the
stream to files in the same way you did.  However, I found that only the
following two commands were needed:

cat /dev/ost/dvr | ts2ps vpid apid > file.ps
mplayer file.ps

The command-line I now use to view the stream is as follows:

./dumprtp | ts2ps vpid apid | mplayer -cache 4096 -

However, this is still not 100% perfect - I still get the occasional "jumps"
in the playback, or occasionally, the video and audio lose sync badly (very
slow video playback, audio playback fine).  Restarting mplayer then fixes it.

NOTE: "dumprtp" is equivalent to "cat /dev/ost/vdr" - it just dumps the TS
from the network.

It's also work keeping up-to date with the latest Mplayer CVS versions.  I've
found that it's ability to play files from stdin has improved a lot over the
last few months.

Dave.