[linux-dvb] Re: MSI MS-8401 support?

Mike Frisch writes:
 > On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 06:32:19PM +0100, Ralph Metzler wrote:
 > > Do you have this card? What chips are on it?
 >
 > Yes, I do have the card, but I don't see many references to it on the
 > net.  It appears that it's not very popular.

I also never saw it being sold anywhere.
Where did you get it and how much does it cost?

 > 00:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 (rev
 > 11)
 >         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
 >         Memory at ed000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
 >         Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
 >         Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
 >
 > 00:0a.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 (rev 11)
 >         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
 >         Memory at ec800000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
 >         Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
 >         Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
 >
 > I can get more details when I get home.
 >
 > > The PCI bridge seems to be a Fusion878 but trying to read the rest
 > > gives me a headache ...
 >
 > Presumably that's the 878 above

Yes, Conexant just calls the Bt878 a little differently now.

 > >  > exists or is forthcoming?
 > >
 > > Not from us.
 >
 > Ok, in that case, since you have experience in this area, what
 > information would I need from MSI (the manufacturer) to create a Linux
 > driver?

That depends on what other chips are on the card.
If datasheets are available you might not need any information from
them at all.

The most important chips are the tuner and the demodulator chips.
The tuner chip is probably inside the metal box. If it is easy to
open/close a list of all ICs in there would be helpful.
The chip on the right hand side of the 878 could be the demodulator
(looks like a Winbond logo on it?) and the two chips above the 878
look like some glue logic, maybe to control the LNB voltage/22KHz chip
(the 10 pin chip above the latter 2, next to all the capacitors) via
some pins of the GPIO port of the 878.

Ralph