[linux-dvb] Re: upgrading from vdr072/dvb082

Hi,

Media Terminal for a number of months earlier this year.

We were given two boxes by Nokia as we were planning on developing content
for one of our clients. It was mainly aimed towards being a showcase demo.

We got updated code releases quite frequently and although it shone
architecturally, Nokia never managed to get us a fully functional code base.
Also, they were unable to provide us with documentation.

Alas, we only ever got our hands on a very early MHP implementation that
didn't compile.

I rather got the impression that Nokia weren't sure how to pitch their box.
Was it a killer gaming platform or an ITV platform? Or was it a home network
gateway? To be honest, it provided all these services and more, but none of
them very well. Nokia seemed pushed for time and behind schedule and the
roll out in the UK seems to have been pushed back and back....

To be honest I liked the product and would like to contribute, but the OST
site is shocking and I am not quite clear on what aspects are open source
and what aren't

In answer to your questions:

e.g. should I consider this one or build a Linux-tv box myself?
It depends whether the journey is more important than getting there! If you
are a technically focused person, then you could build a nice Linux tv box
pretty easily.

Does it give access to a Linux shell or X display on the TV screen?
You can plug in a USB keyboard and mouse and you can access a shell on the
TV screen if you so wish.

Is it possible to install and display what-ever Linux software on it?
I am not sure what restrictions the shipped box will have and how it will
impact warranty, but on ours, we installed some gnu tools and used it like
any other Linux box.

Would like to hear some feedback on this device.

e.g. should I consider this one or build a linux-tv box myself?
Does it give access to a linux shell or X display on the TV screen?
Is it possible to install and display what-ever linux software on it?

Best Regards
Dennis Melhede

linux-dvb" as subject.