[linux-dvb] Re: is interrupt sharing possible?

Am Donnerstag, 27. Dezember 2001 10:54 schrieb Jonas Meyer:
Hello Jonas,

> my box is really stuffed with lots of peripherals.now my problem is
> that my dvb card shared it's irq with one of my nics and it seems that
> was the reason why my system keeped hanging. are there chances that i
> can put another pci card to the slot that the nic was in and still
> leave my dvb working?if not should i be able to change some bios
> settings to activate another interrupt for the dvb?i'm having pnpos set
> to yes and let most ressource handling be done by linux.i'm using
> kernel-2.4.16 with devfs(and some patches)so i guess there are lots of
> possible reasons why it doesn'T work.i'm happy for every hint.

The irq-sharing capabillity depends from your MoBo, the used chipset and
the setup, plugging the cards into the right slot, using irq-shareable
pci-devices. Not all manufacturer does support irq-sharing.

I have here an machine wich is quite filled. (Every slot is used). My DVB
Card shares it's irq with my NIC also.
This is my IRQ-Sharing table:
           CPU0       CPU1
  0:    5272874          0          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      26177          0          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:        298          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci
  8:          3          0          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:     227940          0          XT-PIC  ide2, Ensoniq AudioPCI
 11:     237505          0          XT-PIC  sym53c8xx
 12:      12912          0          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:   45216105          0          XT-PIC  eth0, saa7146(1)
 15:        355          0          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0          0
LOC:    5272991    5272967
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

My NIC: 3Com3c590-tx "Tornando"
Works fine here.

My hints for you:
- plug busmaster devices into busmaster slots (my DVBs is Busmaster),
refer to the MoBo documentation, ask support there (Dealer, Manufacturer)
due they do mostly bad documentations.
- avoid the last slots (PCI4, PCI5, PCI6) with plugging cards which are
not irq-shareable.
- mostly PCI2 is the Busmaster-Slot
- mostly PCI1 is Irq-Sharing with AGP Slot (Does the crashes occour using
X11 ?, Do you have a NVIDIA Card ?, Upgrade the NVIDAI Driver, if so.
Request better NVIDIA Drivers from Nvidia Support!)

For further help, drop a more deailed email with more Informations.
This would help:
cat /proc/cpuinfo, cat /proc/ioports, cat /proc/interupts, lspci -v

Good Luck

mfG
	Jojo

--
Jürgen Sauer - AutomatiX GmbH, +49-4209-4699, jojo@automatix.de **
** Das Linux Systemhaus - Service - Support - Server - Lösungen **