[linux-dvb] Re: Sat-Internet Provider Choice

Robert.Schneider@de.ibm.com(Robert Schneider)  21.01.02 16:55

Once upon a time Robert Schneider shaped the electrons to say...

>Hi,

>can somebody give a little advise on what Sat-Internet providers are a
>good choice for Astra 19.2 in Germany. I have read some of the threads
>in this forum and surfed the web-pages of the various providers and it
>seems to me that Europe Online WOULD be a good choice for me.

AFAIK:
EON is going to become some kind TV/Entertainment station using IP.
It's not claiming to be an internet provider.

I don't know if you can decode their data stream at all.
(It is addressed to your single receiver, like pay TV).

>If someone could comment that and provide some rough figures on
>realistic download rates, I would highly appreciate that.

Satellites are expensive.

So it makes sense to transmit one content to many.
Point-to-point MUST be slow or very expensive.
That's what everyone tells.

It would make sense to broadcast usenet news over
a satellit: much information/entertainment "few to many"
But AFAIK DirecPC (?) has to close their news streams
because of the costs.

Some time ago i saw a complete satallite set at "vobis" for
a satellite at a position in the west. But i don't think
it'll work as expected.

The Telekom "DSL over satellite" (what a nonsense "DSL")
will suffer on the same problem:
The first guys will be very lucky, but as more guys are going
online as lower the bandwith will be...
And: Are they really going to Astra? They have their
own satellites.

And, don't forget:
Each IP-Paket had made a journey of at least 72000km,
taking more than 200ms time. That's to slow to
feel "interactivity" as VanJacobs already messured 30 years ago...

Rainer