[linux-dvb] Re: extra decryptring layers in rendering stream of dv card

Myrmika@aol.com wrote:
> i've got a nova-t, and i'm wondering if anyone has yet managed to place a
> eurocrypt filter into dv card / dvb streams. it is possible to backwards
> engineer any of the uncopyrighted codes that are used by companies, and this
> is already done for windows. has anyone done this, from scratch or by
> importing the ready made windows codes? discovery the sci fi channel etc are
> with many connections.
> what would be simplest...a modification of the nova-t driver?

(FYI:  They're tetchy on this list about talking about such things, so
best to reply off-list)

First off... using the hacked codes/keys published on the web is likely
to get you into big trouble.  You shouldn't even be thinking of going
this route.

At the very least you'd need a smartcard reader and software to talk to
it (I'm thinking of writing such a piece of software myself, since
hardware CAMs weigh in at £200+ and I don't have that sort of money..  I
just picked up a reader for £30.  Interesting project, at least - it has
lots of geek value.).

However that only gets you half way.  The DVB common scrambling
algorithm is a complete unknown and not reproducible in software AFAIK.
  Without this info you won't be able to view encrypted channels.

Expensive cards have the hardware that does this kind of thing
automatically - you'd only have to implement the CAM.  The Hauppauge is
not designed for viewing encrypted channels and is unlikely to be
coerced into doing so in the forseeable future.

Tony

--
"Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files. This provides more
security than wiping with decimal values." -- Norton SystemWorks 2002 Manual

tmh@nothing-on.tv
http://www.nothing-on.tv