[linux-dvb] Adding a real cam to a nova - was: Re: Re: NOVA+encrypted channels...

> I think there is a legal way. Add a PCMCIA interface to your PC, plug a
CAM,
> and write a PCMCIA driver using the pcmcia-cs package. You'll find all the
> documentation on the Common Interface at www.etsi.org .
> I think it shouldn't be very difficult.
We once build an interface to a CA-Module (the Modules used in the d-box and
Micronik (for example in the MAM600+)). We took an old PCMCIA-Socket,
disconnected the TS at the tuner, and fed it through the CAM.

These CA-Modules aren't anything like CI or even PCMCIA, they just share the
physical interface. It is a much easier interface, both at the hardware
layer and in the software layer. It just controlled via I2C-Commands, which
are undocumented but easy to sniff using some hardware.

We never came to the part where the cam was actually descrambling, since we
had never connect a cardslot, but the cam accepted and responded to our
I2C-Commands and let the TS stream come through (which is an indication for
a proper initialisation of the hardware of the cam). We had to invert some
lines before and after the CAM though.
(explained a bit at http://www.dominance.net/overflow/kg.html, in german)

The advantage of this "project" would be that it's perfectly legal
(comparable to a self-made CI-interface), the disadvantage is, off course,
that you're limited to Betacrypt, or, with the 0CAM-Patch (which is, in my
eyes, not so legal anymore), even irdeto.

the next step would be to extend this to a CI-interface, but this would be a
bit more complex. Maybe somebody is able to take a PCI->PCMCIA bridge, and
reconnect the redefined lines to the NOVA, which leads to a "dual" PCI card.

bye,
felix domke