[linux-dvb] Re: black borders in xawtv

Hi,

Johann Hanne <jonny@xiroi.de> wrote:
> But the overlay region is not completely filled up with the TV
> picture, there are borders at the left, at the right and at the bottom of
> the overlay region. When taking a screenshot with xawtv, I get a 768x576
> picture (PAL size).

PAL is broadcast as 720x576 digital video.  But the analog signal is
only 702 pixels wide, so 9 pixels each side are left black.

> When examinig it with a picture viewer, the left border is about 14
> pixels, the right border is about 12 pixels

That sounds about right, given that you're scaling horizontally from 720
to 768 pixels.

> and the bottom border is about 3 pixels.
Don't know where this one is coming from, but bear in mind that any
analog TV is going to lose some of the image around each edge, so
(assuming this is in the original MPEG) it wouldn't be shown normally.

> Is it a DVB driver, v4l or xawtv problem?
No.

> Is there a solution for getting around this problem?
Yep, crop the image before you display it.

Kind regards,

Jon