[linux-dvb] Re: State of the API?

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 09:46:20AM +0300, Ismo.Peltonen@iptime.fi wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 06:12:48PM +0200, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > At the time the API was created V4L2 had no support for DVB. Also,
> > IIRC Alan Cox said he didn't like V4L2 because they did color space
> > transformations in the driver instead of in user space. To us it looked
> > as if V4L2 would not make it into the kernel.
>
> Now that v4l2 is going into kernel ("integration planed for 2.5.x"
> in include/linux/videodev.h), it might be better to drop dvb decoder
> devices and move to v4l2. v4l/v4l2 driver is needed anyway for the
> decoders, so v4l2 drivers that can handle the chips means fewer drivers
> overall.

Well, http://kernelnewbies.org/status/latest.html only mentions
a "Video for Linux (V4L) redesign", and an updated videodev.[ch] is
already in the 2.4.x kernel.
OTOH http://www.thedirks.org/v4l2/ does not even mention kernel 2.5.

> Device location changes - /dev/dvb/adapterX/.. and with devfs
> /dev/dvb/cardX/..

It's /dev/dvb/adapterX/ with devfs, too.

> Any comments? I will revisit the intro chapter regarding overview and
> device locations and list of devices when going through the respective
> device chapter.

- make shure you understand the source layout of the NEWSTRUCT
  driver; maybe also look at the experimental-pinnacle branch,
  which contians (outdated?) code written by Peter Hettkamp.
- look at the example applications that come with the driver
  and make shure you understand what they do; sometimes the order
  in which the driver ioctls() are called matters a lot...
- look at other peoples code and web sites, e.g. http://www.linuxstb.org/
  and http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr/
- release early, release often
- start writing those parts of documentation which you feel are
  most useful for other developers -- that way you might get
  positive feedback sooner
- if you have questions, ask on the list

> And no, there are no deadlines. I'll work with this as time permits.
> Where should I submit patches?

You can send them to Holger or to me. If they are small enough
and you want to discuss them before checkin you can also send
them to the list, but then remember to inline them in your
message, the list does not allow attachments.

Regards,
Johannes