[linux-dvb] bad reception

Whats the best way to diagnose rarely getting a picture?

I have a dvb-t card (in the uk). The antenna is pointing pretty much
at Crystal Palace, but I rarely get a picture for more than a few minutes,
the rest of the time mplayer says libmpeg2 is giving sig11 and there
are just coloured blobs (running dvbstream into ts2ps 0 0 | mplayer.
The latest pes2vid_es | mpeg2dec doesnt sig11 but just says
stream not demultiplexed ? almost all the time.

dvbstream says:

dvbstream v0.4pre3 - (C) Dave Chapman 2001
Released under the GPL.
Latest version available from http://www.linuxstb.org/
Using DVB card "Grundig 29504-401"
tuning DVB-T (in United Kingdom) to 505833000
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_CARRIER
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI FE_HAS_SYNC
Bit error rate: 672
Signal strength: 11822
SNR: 51143
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI FE_HAS_SYNC
Output to stdout
Streaming 2 streams

the bit error rate is usually about 1500, sometimes more - is this too high?
And should the signal strength be higher?

Unfortuantely I dont have much else except analogue tv to test the antenna
with, though I may try to borrow an ITV digital box.

Any help would be appreciated.

Justin