[linux-dvb] Re: TT DVB-T and SP8870

Johan Martensson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After seeing that the TT-DVD-T was supported I happily ordered a card
> from dvb-shop.de. Now I've received it and tested it. It seems that
> the card is equipped with a SP8870. After a short and unsuccessful
> test drive I had a look at the code and browsed the archives. It seems
> that the SP8870 was never fully developed and it has been dropped in
> newstruct.
>
> Am I the only person with a SP8870 equipped TT DVD-T card? Printed on
> my card is "t-dvb rev 1.2". Since I got my card now I'd like to think
> that mine is newer that other peoples but a quick google search for
> SP8870 wasn't too promising. Or have I maybe misunderstood
> everything....

Uff, I just gave my TT-DVB-T card (that I also bought at dvb-shop.de) to
Holger(@convergence.de), because it didn't tune to any channel within
Linux - guess what he said (translation by me ;):

"You have a Spase SP8870 chip on you board. AFAIK this was only used with
some prototypes; this chip isn't produced for a long time. [...] It is
currently not supported by the Linux driver and I don't know if I'm
willing to spend much energy on this."

> Did dvb-shop.de send me some old junk? How come that the driver was
> never finished? Does anyone have specs or hints that would make it
> possible for me to complete the driver? I've no prior knowledge
> regarding dvb, just some general programming knowledge (I've actually
> written a linux device driver some years ago;) ) but I'm willing to
> give it a try if it doesn't seem too impossible.

AFAIK Holger has the specs and some sample code for the successor chip,
the SP8872.

Hmm, maybe I should contact the people at dvb-shop and ask the about
these boards. Depending on this maybe Holger is willing to
continue/finish the work on this part of the driver.

Holger?

Cheers,
Juri