[linux-dvb] Re: New UK DVB-T channels testing

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 20:36, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Lauri Pesonen wrote:

> > > Are you sure that these offsets are related to the used modulation? What
> > > makes you sure of that?
> > >
> > > Holger
> >
> > I emailed about theo ffset in DVB-C in Finland (the text segment Klaus
> > quoted above).
> >
> > Some guy in Finland (sorry, I can't remember your name) came up with the
> > offsets after trial and error. There is no guarantee that they are correct
> > or that the offset is related to the modulation. Actually the only QAM_64
> > bouquet in my providers network is on 162MHz and all QAM_128 bouquets
> > (that I'm whatching) are above that, e.g. in the range of 283MHz. So the
> > offset might also be related to the freq rather than the modulation (which
> > would make more sense to me).
> >
> > All I can say for sure is that I have offset the QAM_64 bouquet by -125kHz
> > and all the QAM_128 bouquets by -250kHz and all channels work perfectly.
> > Before I applied the offset 80% of my channels switches across bouquets
> > failed.
>
> Well, after all these postings I guess the bottom line is that it will be best
> to store both DVB-T _and_ DVB-C frequencies generally in kHz (I believe
> going all the way down to Hz would be really unnecessary, because the user would
> then have to enter a NINE digit number when defining a channel in VDR's OSD - pretty
> sure six of which would be zeroes).

I don't want to interfere here as I probably don't understand the
problem but:

Why not STORE the values as Hz, but allow input via OSD to be in
whatever is most sensible?

Also - why not let user suffix their values with Mhz, Khz, Ghz or hz?
On the OSD you could use up/down to select the units (but default to the
most likely units for the source type).  This would seem (to me) to be
the most flexible.