[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-s Satellite Internet help needed.

Samstag, 12. Oktober 2002 at 14:30 Miernik wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 12:09:08AM +1000, amen ra wrote:
>>
>> There does not seem to be any device for the DVB-s
>> card like /dev/dvb0 or similar as in the HOWTO
>> How do I setup the device and other software/utils and
>> routing to make the Internet connection work ?

> You need to use the dvbtune program from
> http://www.linuxstb.org/dvbtune/dvbtune-0.3.tar.gz
> You will get an interface like dvb0_0, you will be able to see it in
> ifconfig.

Hi,

Miernik is right. In 0.9.x-drivers the network device of the DVB-card
isn't brought up automatically but has to be established "by hand" using
either dvbtune (which I think is the preferred way) or some other
"network activator"-program. Use dvbtune to adjust your card to the
frequency of your provider and then use the "-n" switch with the desired
pid as parameter. Just call dvbtune by itself for a list of
possible tuning parms.

After that, you'll see a device called dvb0_0 which you can configure
with ifconfig. Simply add an IP-Address of the private range (doesn't
matter which but should not conflict with your other network devices)
and assign it the MAC-Address you either got from your provider or is
stated on your card (AFAIK there is no way to determine the MAC of a
DVB-card under Linux by command as e.g. winipcfg does under Windows).

After that, you should have a fully functional network-device dvb0_0.
Try "tcpdump -ni dvb0_0" and see, if you can receive IP-packets. If so,
you're almost done.

The final step then is to connect to your provider via phone. You
mentioned, that the connection is not via proxy but using the
MAC-address. So I suppose, they are using a VPN-connection. Is that
correct? If so, you have to install the pptp-client software which can
be found at http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net and do some tricks to
your routing table. It's a bit lengthy to describe, what steps you have
to take, so please first make shure, that your dvb-network-device is
working and your provider does really use VPN to connect. I'll be glad
to help you with the next steps after that.

--
Best regards
Wolfgang Wershofen                            mailto:wolfgang@wershofen.com