[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-s Satellite Internet help needed.

Can people please comment on my attempts so far and
help me fill in the blanks and any errors
This what I have so far on HOW TO get a DVB-s card
working under Linux 8.0
Install drivers - not sure of the best version to use
cd /usr/src
tar -zxvf siemens_dvb-0.9.4-2002-06-23.tgz
mv siemens_dvb-0.9.4-2002-06-23 DVB
ln -s linux-2.4 linux
cd /usr/src/linux
After copying the correct config file for the kernel
make oldconfig  #(is this needed ?)
make mrproper  #(is this needed ?)
cp configs/kernel-2.4.18-athlon.config .config
make dep
make bzImage  #(is this needed ?)
make modules  #(is this needed ?)
I built the drivers using the instructions in README
and INSTALL
cd /usr/src/DVB/driver
make
make insmod
lsmod

Install dvbtune -
http://www.linuxstb.org/dvbtune/index.shtml
cd /usr/src
unzip dvbtune then:
tar -zxvf dvbtune-0_3.tar.bz
cd dvbtune-0.3
make
cp dvbtune /usr/local/bin
then Add network interface and receive MPE on PID dpid
(PID=1951)
./dvbtune -n 1951
ISP Details: Freq 12336 V, SR 30000, FEC 2/3, PID 1951
./dvbtune -f 12336000 -s 30000 -p v -D 0
./dvbtune (to list options remember to use the Diseq
option when the switch is installed)
Usage: dvbtune [OPTIONS]
The following options are available:
-c [0-3]   Use DVB device [0-3]
-f freq    absolute Frequency (DVB-S in Hz or DVB-T in
Hz)
           or L-band Frequency (DVB-S in Hz or DVB-T
in Hz)
-p [H,V]   Polarity (DVB-S only)
-t [0|1]   0=22kHz off, 1=22kHz on
-I [0|1|2] 0=Spectrum Inversion off, 1=Spectrum
Inversion on, 2=auto
-s N       Symbol rate (DVB-S only)
-D [0-4]   DiSEqC command (0=none)

-V vpid    Set video PID (full cards only)
-A apid    Set audio PID (full cards only)
-T ttpid   Set teletext PID (full cards only)
-pnr N     Tune to Program Number (aka service) N

-i         Dump SI information as XML
-x         Attempt to auto-find other transponders
(experimental)
-m         Monitor the reception quality
-n dpid    Add network interface and receive MPE on
PID dpid
When dvbtune has been executed the DVB card is
available like a normal network device.
Have to set FEC to 2/3
Have to set LNB LOF low, switch and high to 11300000
Activate the interface it first (maybe using "ifconfig
-a dvb0_0")
Then set an IP address and MAC address with the
command
ifconfig dvb0_0 192.168.4.1 hw ether 00:01:02:03:04:05
up
Now look at /var/log/messages
tcpdump -ni dvb0_0
Next setup routing for ppp connection and firewall
(iptables) and Internet connection sharing (NAT)
I think that the outgoing packets thru ppp0, ppp1, or
ppp2 Source IP address needs to be set to the IP
address of the DVB-s card interface dvb0_0 somehow
echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/dvb0/rp_filter
How to make the settings stick after reboot

 --- Wolfgang Wershofen <wolfgang@wershofen.com>
wrote: > Samstag, 12. Oktober 2002 at 14:30 Miernik
wrote:

> > On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 12:09:08AM +1000, amen ra
> wrote:
> >>
> >> There does not seem to be any device for the
> DVB-s
> >> card like /dev/dvb0 or similar as in the HOWTO
> >> How do I setup the device and other
> software/utils and
> >> routing to make the Internet connection work ?
>
> > You need to use the dvbtune program from
> > http://www.linuxstb.org/dvbtune/dvbtune-0.3.tar.gz
> > You will get an interface like dvb0_0, you will be
> able to see it in
> > ifconfig.
>
> Hi,
>
> Miernik is right. In 0.9.x-drivers the network
> device of the DVB-card
> isn't brought up automatically but has to be
> established "by hand" using
> either dvbtune (which I think is the preferred way)
> or some other
> "network activator"-program. Use dvbtune to adjust
> your card to the
> frequency of your provider and then use the "-n"
> switch with the desired
> pid as parameter. Just call dvbtune by itself for a
> list of
> possible tuning parms.
>
> After that, you'll see a device called dvb0_0 which
> you can configure
> with ifconfig. Simply add an IP-Address of the
> private range (doesn't
> matter which but should not conflict with your other
> network devices)
> and assign it the MAC-Address you either got from
> your provider or is
> stated on your card (AFAIK there is no way to
> determine the MAC of a
> DVB-card under Linux by command as e.g. winipcfg
> does under Windows).
>
> After that, you should have a fully functional
> network-device dvb0_0.
> Try "tcpdump -ni dvb0_0" and see, if you can receive
> IP-packets. If so,
> you're almost done.
>
> The final step then is to connect to your provider
> via phone. You
> mentioned, that the connection is not via proxy but
> using the
> MAC-address. So I suppose, they are using a
> VPN-connection. Is that
> correct? If so, you have to install the pptp-client
> software which can
> be found at http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net and do
> some tricks to
> your routing table. It's a bit lengthy to describe,
> what steps you have
> to take, so please first make shure, that your
> dvb-network-device is
> working and your provider does really use VPN to
> connect. I'll be glad
> to help you with the next steps after that.
>
> --
> Best regards
> Wolfgang Wershofen
> mailto:wolfgang@wershofen.com
>

> --
> Info:

http://careers.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Careers
- 1,000's of jobs waiting online for you!