[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-T cards in the UK

> > But it might be cheaper to find a dxr3 card instead (once the plugin for
> > VDR  is fully functional) and a nova-t.
>
> I'm considering doing this.
>
> How functional is VDR with a Dxr3?

I've written many times over the last week about this topic =)

I'm in the UK and my setup is Nova-t + dxr3.

At the moment, I'm using the development versions of VDR (1.1.12 right now)
because they support proper plugins instead of having to patch the VDR
source code..

The dxr3 plugin is at version 0.0.4 so that might give you an idea of how
mature the code is - i.e. not very.

The plugin actually works very well and smooth video and sound are routed
through the Dxr3. Also the on-screen-display of VDR is mapped into the
4-colour palette of the Dxr3 (using DVD subtitles) so it doesn't look as
pretty as a full-featured DVB card.

I have problems doing recordings, but I don't know if this is related to the
dxr3 plugin since I see many requests for help on this matter from people
who have full-featured DVB cards.

The authors of the dxr3 plugins have said this week that a new version
should be released in approximately one month.

Since the dxr3 / Hollywood + is such a cheap card, and you can use MPlayer
with it to play DivX / MPEG4 / AVI, etc. it's worth buying one anyway - and
the plugin for VDR looks set to be a really nice piece of work when it's
finished =)

Cheers,
gdh