[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-T cards in the UK

> [ Nova-t + Dxr3 ]
>
> I see.  Isn't VDR moving towards NEWSTRUCT?  So as a 'soon-to-be new user'
> would probably be better off starting with that?

Possibly. The reason I still run the
ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/pub/people/kls/vdr/Developer/siemens_dvb-0.9.4-2002-06-
23.patch.tar.bz2

driver purely because it's the one that Klaus reccommends =) When he moves
to a specific 'NEWSTRUCT' (now HEAD) one from a certain date, I'll move to
that.

> > If I try to replay a recording from within VDR, VDR segfaults :/
>
> Oh, right!  :-/

It'll get better I'm sure =) I'm in no immediate rush - the VDR stuff is a
side-project for me - I have enough on with real work to suitably restrict
my VDR dabblings..

> > > And can you watch live programmes OK?
> >
> > Yes, this works perfectly, with on-screen "now and next" programme info
and
> > everything.
>
> Great.  So, at the very least, I'll be able to make the system act like a
> typical STB?  That's good.

<nod>

> Is there a full screen 'TV guide'?  Do subtitles work too?

I've not tried subtitles, and I've not seen anything like a TV guide yet -
if anyone else can throw light on this topic I'd be interested to hear it..

At present, VDR only displays the 'now and next' info for each channel. I'm
guessing that info is broadcast along with the tuning / VPid/ APid data, but
the full programme information is stored somewhere else.

Of course in the UK, we're all familiar with the 'Sky Guide' grid of
programmes.. I don't know if such a thing exists for Terrestrial broadcasts,
or if we'll just have to wait until someone writes an MHEG-5 (digital
teletext) decoder to view BBCi.

At least the MHEG-5 specifications are completely open and free to
implement.

> Out of interest, is it possible to play DVDs with the setup?  And are
these
> straight via VDR, or MPlayer?

Yep, http://warp10.net/dvd/plugin-devel/ contains the DVD player plugin
(same dir as the Dxr3 plugin...)