[linux-dvb] Re: Patch for frontends/ves1820.c

Dennis Noordsij wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> It maybe helps against losing the lock too quickly, but it doesn't improve
> tuning time in general for me :-(

It wans't about improving tunign time, anyway. It was about making the new
driver usable at all, since without that line I had dropouts every few seconds.
With this line I have been using the new driver since yesterday any it works
fine so far.

> I found though that if I return from dvb_bend_frequency straight away, so
> without bending anything :) both cards tune much faster.

But couldn't that cause interference between the two tuners in case they are
both tuned to the same transponder? I guess that's what dvb_bend_frequency
tries to avoid.

> I can now (give or take 1 out of 20 tries) zap around in VDR and while tuning
> is a little slower than the old driver, it does work.
>
> Lots of mpeg artifacts in transfer mode though, and one ARM crash while
> fastforwarding with OSD on on a time-shifting card.

Using the OSD when replaying (no matter whether it's a normal replay or Transfer
Mode) may always cause artifacts.

> Most reports I've read about ARM crashes have to do with either heat, or a
> combination of a very busy ARM (i.e. timeshifting) and fast updating OSD.
>
> If the OSD would be limited to say 4-5 updates per second, might that help?
> It's true that for ff and cutting it's updated much more than that.

It can't hurt if you try it. Let's know what happens then.

Klaus