[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-T cards in the UK

In message <014f01c2761c$5bab9ad0$6300000a@moist>
          "Gavin Hamill" <gdh@acentral.co.uk> wrote:

> > So, at the very least, I'll be able to make the system act like a
> > typical STB?  That's good.
>
> <nod>

Cool.

> > Is there a full screen 'TV guide'?  Do subtitles work too?
>
> I've not tried subtitles, and I've not seen anything like a TV guide yet -
> if anyone else can throw light on this topic I'd be interested to hear
> it..

Just wondering... my Pace DTVA takes the broadcast EPG info and draws a
full-screen multi-channel grid (like DigiGuide).  I just assumed that VDR
would do something similar with it's EPG info.  Perhaps not!

> At present, VDR only displays the 'now and next' info for each channel. I'm
> guessing that info is broadcast along with the tuning / VPid/ APid data, but
> the full programme information is stored somewhere else.

Ah... at the moment, DTT in the UK only has 'Now and next' info.  The full
seven-day info isn't being broadcast (it vanished with ITVdigital!).  I
think that during November the full guide will come back (and be provided by
the BBC).

Obviously, my Pace DTVA can't therefore do a 'full' guide - it just draws a
blank grid, and only puts in the 'now and next' info.  I'm pretty sure the
whole grid will populate once the BBC sort their end out.

> Of course in the UK, we're all familiar with the 'Sky Guide' grid of
> programmes.. I don't know if such a thing exists for Terrestrial broadcasts,
> or if we'll just have to wait until someone writes an MHEG-5 (digital
> teletext) decoder to view BBCi.

Such a thing should happen soon (see above), and I don't believe it needs
MHEG.

> At least the MHEG-5 specifications are completely open and free to
> implement.

That reminds me, does VDR support MHEG at all?  I wonder if anyone fancies
adding the functionality...?

> > Out of interest, is it possible to play DVDs with the setup?  And are
> > these straight via VDR, or MPlayer?
>
> Yep, http://warp10.net/dvd/plugin-devel/ contains the DVD player plugin
> (same dir as the Dxr3 plugin...)

Great.

I've just won a Dxr3 and Creative DVD-ROM bundle via EBay, so I'll try
putting that in my K6/2-350.  Once that works, I'll see about a Nova-t.

Thanks for all your help.
--
Richard.

"All you need is love, love. Love is all you need."