[linux-dvb] Re: Summary (to Holger :-)

> > * Where is the timeout specified for deciding wether or not there is a
> > lock and before trying a different frequency? I can see many (inserted)
> > printk's "trying freq xxxxx Hz", "trying freq yyyyy Hz" log messages,
> > many times without locking, and then suddently it will lock on freq xxxx
> > which has already been tried a dozen times before without success.
>
> where have you seen these printk's?

I inserted them, I think in tuner_tv_set_freq.

Like I said, zigzagging etc works very well for me in REL-0-9-2, so it can
obviously be done very effectively, I just haven't had much luck with it in
HEAD yet :/

But according to the tuner_tv_set_freq printk's, it will take several attempts
at identical frequencies and settings to acquire a lock, so I am wondering
where it waits for the lock and decides wether or not to "move on". Say it
zigzags around a center frequency, it will pass the center frequency a few
times (going up, going down, etc), and then eventually it will lock to that
frequency (which has been tried several times right before).

It would seem a faster approach would be to forego most of the zigzagging
(within 250kHz or center frequency is as a far as it might have a change of
tuning in), and try more persistantly to lock in the smaller frequency
window.

Cheers,
Dennis