[linux-dvb] Re: NEWSTRUCT questions

Hi Florian,

Florian Schirmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're currently porting all our D-BOX2 driver to the NEWSTRUCT API's and
> running into major problems with the new i2c layer.

please use API version 3.

> The i2c layer works pretty well as long as the i2c adapter is part of the dvb
> adapter. On our STB there are three i2c controller. Two of them are not part
> of the dvb adapter and so not under the control of the dvb i2c layer.
>
> The frontends of our STB are attached to one of the "external" i2c adapters.
> Because of this we are running into problems when attaching the frontends to
> the dvb adapter.

Could you please explain a little more detailed what exactly these
problems are? We're using here hardware with multiple i2c busses (each
with attached frontends) without problems.

> Currently i'm not aware of any possible workaround for this situation. We've
> tried to register a dummy i2c bus at the dvb i2c layer. Then fe's can
> properly attach to the dvb adapter. But we have to deal with the i2c messages
> ourself. And there is no way to enumerate the availible i2c busses on the
> linux i2c api. So we dont can't send the messages inside the dummy i2c bus
> xfer_msg proc.
>
> To work around this problem again we have to register the frontend to the
> linux i2c layer too, as soon it is attached to our dummy dvb i2c bus.
>
> This is a very ugly hack. Maybe there is a smarter solution to this kind of
> problem. It would be nice if someone can elaborate on this subject.

Hmm, I still don't understand exactly your problem. Please contact me to
explain the situation a little more in detail.

> Another simple question:
>
> FE_CAN_FEC_x_y does it tell the api the fe can do fec x/y or does it tell the
> fe can be forced to operate in fec x/y mode. We've a fe which is able to do
> fec x/y but can only operate in auto fec mode. So do we need to set
> FE_CAN_FEC_x_y AND FE_CAN_FEC_AUTO or just FE_CAN_FEC_AUTO?

it's there to tell any code that implements autoprobing of frontend
paramters what modes are supported by the hardware and what modes
can/have to be probed in software.

Holger