[linux-dvb] Re: tuning on Nova-T card

On Wednesday 23 Oct 2002 12:50 pm, Gavin Hamill wrote:
> > Has anybody noticed the tuning being a wee bit flakey on the Nova-T card
> > with the latest drivers?
> >
> > I can execute a dvbtune command, and it gets an error basically along
> > the lines of saying the frequency is too large
>
> <nod> Yup, I've been getting this, too.. I didn't mention it since the
> other problems I'd been having were more serious =) (IMO)

Things are getting seriously unreal. I just built DVB (from
:pserver:anonymous@linuxtv.org:/cvs/linuxtv) and dvbtune (from
:pserver:anonymous@cvs.dvbtools.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/dvbtools) on a brand
new machine (Pentium III 1.2GHz) with a brand new kernel (2.4.19) -- and I
get this error sometimes. Other times I get a channel listing, but it varies
from try to try, and sometimes I just get 'nothing to read from...'

It's a similar story when I try to use dvbstream. Tuning to BBC1 I don't get
any data unless I use both the -qam 16 and -cr 3_4 flags. These cause the
reported error rate to go from about 200 to about 30000 but at least result
in some data being produced -- there is none otherwise. And the picture looks
OK!

So...looks like I will have to write a hack to convert the tuning data from
running it under Windows (which puts it in .xls format, and somehow seems to
manage without the frequency offsets) to a channels.conf format. Unless there
is something obvious I am doing wrong with dvbstream -- but others on this
list have reported similar problems, so guess I'll just go ahead.

	--Jasper