[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-s Satellite Internet help needed.

Samstag, 26. Oktober 2002 at 19:02 amen ra wrote:

> Can people please comment on my attempts so far and
> help me fill in the blanks and any errors
> This what I have so far on HOW TO get a DVB-s card
> working under Linux 8.0

Which Linux 8.0? What kernel-version? My comments below refer to a
SuSE-7.3 Kernel 2.4.16-4GB.

> Install drivers - not sure of the best version to use
> cd /usr/src
> tar -zxvf siemens_dvb-0.9.4-2002-06-23.tgz
> mv siemens_dvb-0.9.4-2002-06-23 DVB

Ok.

> ln -s linux-2.4 linux
> cd /usr/src/linux
> After copying the correct config file for the kernel
> make oldconfig  #(is this needed ?)
> make mrproper  #(is this needed ?)
> cp configs/kernel-2.4.18-athlon.config .config
> make dep
> make bzImage  #(is this needed ?)
> make modules  #(is this needed ?)

This is kernel hacking stuff ;-). Should normally not be neccessary (at
least I haven't been forced to do that so far).

> I built the drivers using the instructions in README
> and INSTALL
> cd /usr/src/DVB/driver
> make
> make insmod
> lsmod

> Install dvbtune -
> http://www.linuxstb.org/dvbtune/index.shtml
> cd /usr/src
> unzip dvbtune then:
> tar -zxvf dvbtune-0_3.tar.bz
> cd dvbtune-0.3
> make
> cp dvbtune /usr/local/bin
> then Add network interface and receive MPE on PID dpid
> (PID=1951)
> ./dvbtune -n 1951
> ISP Details: Freq 12336 V, SR 30000, FEC 2/3, PID 1951
> ./dvbtune -f 12336000 -s 30000 -p v -D 0

Seems ok for me. You can as well put all options including the -n switch
into one single dvbtune-call.

(...)
> When dvbtune has been executed the DVB card is
> available like a normal network device.

> Have to set FEC to 2/3
> Have to set LNB LOF low, switch and high to 11300000

Ok, this depends on the parms your provider is using. I didn't have to
do such things.

> Activate the interface it first (maybe using "ifconfig
> -a dvb0_0")
> Then set an IP address and MAC address with the
> command
> ifconfig dvb0_0 192.168.4.1 hw ether 00:01:02:03:04:05
> up

Syntactically right. Make shure that the MAC is exactly the one your
provider is expecting ot to be.

> Now look at /var/log/messages
> tcpdump -ni dvb0_0
> Next setup routing for ppp connection and firewall
> (iptables) and Internet connection sharing (NAT)

Just leave out that firewall and NAT-stuff as long as you are not shure
that "simple" connection via satellite is working. You'd put too much
additional trouble into it.

> I think that the outgoing packets thru ppp0, ppp1, or
> ppp2 Source IP address needs to be set to the IP
> address of the DVB-s card interface dvb0_0 somehow

Routing is depending on the way, your provider establishes the
connection. VPN looks different than proxy. Which one do you use? With a
proxy your provider takes care of the packet-flow, with vpn you'll have
to tweak your routing to make your outgoing packets flow through the
VPN-tunnel.
Your outgoing ppp-devices do not need to know the ip of your dvb-card.
Your sat-provider will handle the data-stream and route the returning
packets to your dvb-device. This is why normally you get the MAC-Adress
for your dvb0_0 from your provider or you'll be asked to provide this
adress within your registration.

echo "0" >> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/dvb0/rp_filter
> How to make the settings stick after reboot

I'm not quite shure, since rp_filter is turned off in my distribution by
default. Maybe if you echo 0 into
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/default/rp_filter. Already tried that?

--
Best regards
Wolfgang Wershofen                            mailto:wolfgang@wershofen.com