[linux-dvb] Re: [POLL] kdvb-fe, tune at initialisation, power management

Dienstag, 29. Oktober 2002 at 10:13 Holger Waechtler wrote:

(...)

> The bad thing is that you explicitly have to disable power management
> for networking over DVB (or run an application all the time which
> processes frontend events;)

Does this mean, you'll have to tune the card new every time, the card is
revived. Or the other way round: does tuning e.g. with dvbtune wake up
the card?

I run my budget-card only for sat-networking purposes in a router. At
the moment I tune the card right after booting to the desired freq, set
up the network interface and I'm done with that. If I were to use power
management in that router (which I do not at the moment), would I have
to tune the card every time, a connection to the internet is requested
to make shure, the card is awake and has the right frequency?
What happens to the network-interface, when the card is powered down?
Do I have to re-ifconfig this? This would add some additional seconds
during connection, which is a disadvantage for dial-on-demand systems.

So I think, one has to decide between dial-on-demand and power
management, when you apply the suggested changes. That's no problem for
me but may be for others. Wouldn't it be possible to introduce some kind
of driver option, with which the user can enable or disable power
management according to his/her needs?

--
Best regards
Wolfgang Wershofen                            mailto:wolfgang@wershofen.com