[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-S into Budget modification

> >It helped for me (at least it reduced frequency of crashes).
>
> Thanks by the tip anyway!; on my case, its frequency only allow to run
> VDR (TV mode) for 1 or 2 seconds, ever :-(.

really :-(. Also check with lspci/setpci that the pci latency is 128 for
7146 dvb cards and that pci is runing at 33MHz, (no 66Mhz pci or some
overclocking). It didn't reduce crash frequency for me but this is the
right way and will improve pci throughput of dvb cards.

Finally I found out that shuffling dvb and/or other cards from one pci slot
to another, affects the crash frequecy. If I move pci cards differently
I can also reproduce few minutes crash.

I can only speculate, but this crashes IMHO are coming because dvb cards
sends interrupt or DMA transfer at the time CPU is not expecting it to
happen, doing other things and so it crashes. Different pci slots in
conjunction with nortbridge/southbridge bus priority and cpu speed results
sometimes, for some happy people, that by chance CPU manages to execute all
critical points and becomes ready to accept dvb when it activates itself.

Therefore, disabling onboard ARM of DVB-S completely and using just your
hardware modification one can get cleaner card behaviour free of strange
firmware and also cleaner driver structure. Then DVB-S would work in Budget
only mode and should be much more stable.