[linux-dvb] Re: Compile on redhat 7.3

On Friday 03 Jan 2003 21:10, Will Tatam wrote:
> thanks for the help, but my point is that there is no .config file, so
> me running menu config will then create a .config file that may not
> match that of the one that was used to create the kernel that shipped
> with the distro.
>
> I am more than capable of compliling the kernel, but as this is the
> first time i have been using a module that is not part of the kernel i
> thought it best to use a redhat kernel rather than a home-grown one i
> case there were particular options you need to select when dealing with
> modules not in the main kernel

If you're using a stock RedHat kernel then the solution is:

1. Install the kernel source RPM corresponding to the running kernel

2. locate the config file corresponding to the architecture of your machine
in /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs. Copy that file to /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config

3. hack driver/Makefile to set the KERNEL_LOCATION variable to
/usr/src/linux-2.4 (RedHat specific)

3. Make the DVB driver.

Dave