[linux-dvb] Re: New firmware with more video buffer

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> There is now a new firmware version (2615) available in the CVS
> which makes more SDRAM available for the video buffer. There are
> now 230KB of video buffer space available (as opposed to 210KB
> before). Maybe this fixes the problems with some recordings people
> have reported (like frozen replay or black screens), which may have
> been caused by too little video buffer.
>
> Since SDRAM is a rather limited resource in the firmware this change
> comes at a price: TeleText re-insertion is now disabled as long as
> there is an OSD displayed. However, I guess this is a small price to
> pay, because using TT and OSD at the same time doesn't make too much
> sense, anyway.
>
> Please test this with recordings that are known to have caused
> problems with the previous firmware and let us know whether there is
> any improvement.

Works great! I tested all recordings which did not play with the old
firmware. No problems with teletext re-insertion and OSD until now.

BTW, is it feasible to extend this concept in the future?
If video output is disabled, the B-frame/reference-frame buffers in
SDRAM could be used for a full-sized, full-color OSD.
Might be interesting for future applications...

Oliver