[linux-dvb] Re: Help on use of DMX_OUT_TAP (II)

Hi,

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 12:55, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> >
> > James, I don't know the reason for this problem, but to say it again:
> > You should use DMX_PES_OTHER if you are recording. using
> > DMX_PES_AUDIO/VIDEO does not work (ok, it works for the av7110, but it
> > is a bug in the driver). just to make your code portable. ;)
> > DMX_PES_AUDIO/VIDEO must not be used unless output is DMX_OUT_DECODER.
>
> Well, well, well.
>
> What if you want to record what you are currently watching? The current API
> does not have a nice way to specify that. That's why the Metzler Bros.
> chose to implement DMX_PES_AUDIO/VIDEO + DMX_OUT_TAP to mean
> "DMX_OUT_DECODER and DMX_OUT_TAP". Which makes sense, IMHO.

Just set two separate PES filters. That's how it works on the dbox2 and
the dreambox for example. Usually one does not tune to a channel and
start a recording simultaneously unless the recording is timered by the
same dvb application. Starting to record while watching would require to
stop the old pes filters and restart them if you don't want to set a
second set of filters. Setting separate filters also allows to switch
channels on the same transponder while recording one channel
continously.

> > However, if someone could fix this bug, I'd be very happy.
>
> What bug? Can you be more specific? Is it limited to Budget/Nova cards?

Buffers do fill up very quickly and it is almost impossible to read all
data, neither on the dbox2, where host cpu speed could be the cause, nor
on a pc (I am using a 1.3 Ghz Athlon and a premium card. A Friend
reported to have the same problem with a budget card. The "old" driver
core (before newstruct) seems to be more reliable regarding this.

> > It also
> > occurs when reading high traffic PSI data, even if reading is the only
> > thing one does without processing the data on a fast machine.
>
> What does PSI data have to do with PES filters?
> I don't get it.

Buffers fill up too quickly, no matter whether you read pes or sections.

Regards,
Andreas