[linux-dvb] Re: DVB Newbie

On Thursday 05 June 2003 22:42, you wrote:
> > Am in Milton Keynes - From what I can see I think I should be using Sandy
> > Heath. --

Ah right... by checking:

http://www.itc.org.uk/uploads/DTT Pocket Guide V2.5.pdf

We see the your BBC mux 1 (usually the strongest signal) is on UHF channel 42,
with a negative offset.  This translates to:

(42 * 8) + 306 = 642

So, using 642000 as a base, we now subtract the offset (which is always
167kHz), we end up with a 'dvbtune -f' parameter of 641866.

Give that a go, and if you get a signal lock, with a bit error rate of 15000
or less, you have a signal strong enough to watch reliable TV.

Then you can 'checkout' dvbstream from CVS:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/dvbtools co
dvbstream

(all on one line)

cd dvbstream; make

./dvbstream -f 641866 -o -ps 600 601 | mplayer - -nocache

that should show you BBC1 on-screen in an mplayer window ... 600 anf 601 are
the PIDs of BBC1 video and audio streams respectively.

You can see all the broadcast info in XML format by using 'dvbtune -i'

gdh