[linux-dvb] Re: hw_sections=0 causes disrupted recordings

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > I'd like to point to my posting from yesterday (see
> > http://linuxtv.org/mailinglists/linux-dvb/2003/06-2003/msg00218.html).
> >
> > Maybe somebody with deeper knowledge about this can look into this
> > and tell us whether there actually is something wrong in the driver
> > in case of hw_sections=0?
>
> You wrote there and then:
> > I looked a little deeper into this and found that in StartHWFilter()
> > the 'mode' is initialized to 0xb96a, which is the value necessary to
> > allow simultaneous recording and replay. In case of DMX_TYPE_SEC and
> > hw_sections=1, this will be overwritten with mode=4. So I guess the
> > root of the problem is that in case of hw_sections=0 'mode' remains at
> > 0xb96a, which I assume causes the section data to be transferred via
> > the same channels as TS data and thus results in disrupted recordings.
>
> That's the intended behaviour. Mode=4 -> use HW filters,
> mode=0xb96a -> pass TS packet to SW filter (BTW, I hate magic numbers).

Well, I didn't invent that number ;-)

> And yes, that means that high bandwidth section data has the same channel
> and priority as AV data. But even pay TV EPG data is relatively low bandwidth
> compared to video, so I see no problem.

That's odd, because with all other things the same, I get disrupted recordings
with hw_sections=0, while they are fine with hw_sections=1. That's why I asked
about the "magic" behind the 'mode' value.

Klaus