[linux-dvb] Re: INVERSION_AUTO used by latest scan breaks grundig_29504-401fe

Holger Waechtler wrote:
Don't know if we should force the application to autoprobe the inversion setting instead of implementing this in all drivers, in the ves1820 and stv0299 driver there was a definite need to do it because there are frontends out there with swapped I/Q pins where we simply don't know the 'real' inversion.

It looks like the automatic TPS system enabled by the current driver should already perform the INVERSION_AUTO, without needing the driver to do anything. I tried changing the inversion settings from 0 to 1 for a channel on VDR and it didn't seem to break anything.

I think the comments in the driver saying that it needs to poll and process the TPS interrupts are wrong. The auto TPS description in the technical document for the older chip says that the whole purpose of the automatic TPS mode is that the chip updates its own settings. You only need to respond to the interrupt if you don't enable the auto mode.

The interrupt can also be used to notify the driver that the settings have changed so that it can save them for future use, but this just makes retuning quicker.

Jon