[linux-dvb] Re: Howto setup a multicast network connection?

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Holger Waechtler wrote:

> Holger Kiehl wrote:

> >>Theoretically it should bne supported, but since there was only a little
> >>feedback from card owners on this list I'm not sure if this was tested
> >>well after the last driver changes.
> >>
> >>Can you please report a little more in detail what the problem is?
>
> Hmm, there's somthing broken in stv0299.c -- the frontend is not
> recognised properly (there is a SU1278SH soldered on the PCI card, right?).

On monday I will have access to the machine and I will look at the card.

> Can you please try to find out why it's failing in the probe function in
> stv0299.c or try to check out older versions of this file from CVS and
> report when exactly the bug was introduced?
>
> cvsps is a nice tool to investigate the edit history of files in a CVS
> repository, maybe this helps you...

I did try this but as of patchset 1029 (a big one) the patching did no longer
work (it might be an error on my part since it is the first time I work
with CVS). But I can say it did not work with patchset 1352, 1334, 1333,
1236, 1233 and 1224.

Meanwhile someone else suggested to me to try the driver from the Metzler
brothers. When loading them I get more information on the output:

   i2c-core.o: i2c core module
   i2c-core.o: driver stv0299 DVB demodulator registered.
   i2c-core.o: driver ves1893 DVB demodulator registered.
   i2c-core.o: driver ves1820 DVB demodulator registered.
   i2c-core.o: driver tda8083 DVB demodulator registered.
   dvb_register_adapter: registering new adapter (KNC1 DVB-S).
   saa7146_core.o: saa7146: bus:2, rev:1, mem:0xfca52c00.
   error reading I2C reg
   i2c-core.o: adapter saa7146 registered as adapter 0.
   av7110: SAA7113 not found on KNC card
   dvb_register_device: register adapter0/demux0 @ minor: 4 (0x04) - dvbdev: ecb03700
   dvb_register_device: register adapter0/dvr0 @ minor: 5 (0x05) - dvbdev: ecb03800
   dvb_register_device: register adapter0/net0 @ minor: 7 (0x07) - dvbdev: ecb03600

I now remember that I did try this driver earlier and later switched
to linuxtv-dvb-1.0.0-pre3, since trying to use dvbtune did not work. I
do remember dvbtune did talk once with the card but then too it
would always return the error 'No such device' when trying to open
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0. Looking back in /var/log/messages I see
that the frontend did load once but after a reboot never again:

   i2c-core.o: i2c core module
   i2c-core.o: driver stv0299 DVB demodulator registered.
   i2c-core.o: driver ves1893 DVB demodulator registered.
   i2c-core.o: driver ves1820 DVB demodulator registered.
   i2c-core.o: driver tda8083 DVB demodulator registered.
   dvb_register_adapter: registering new adapter (KNC1 DVB-S).
   saa7146_core.o: saa7146: bus:2, rev:1, mem:0xfca44c00.
   client_register
   dvb_register_device: register adapter0/frontend0 @ minor: 3 (0x03) - dvbdev: f6b52c80
   i2c-core.o: client [stv0299] registered to adapter [saa7146](pos. 0).
   stv0299: tuner at 0x61
   stv0299: attaching stv0299 at 0xd0 to adapter saa7146
   i2c-core.o: adapter saa7146 registered as adapter 0.
   av7110: SAA7113 not found on KNC card
   dvb_register_device: register adapter0/demux0 @ minor: 4 (0x04) - dvbdev: f7066380
   dvb_register_device: register adapter0/dvr0 @ minor: 5 (0x05) - dvbdev: f7066300
   dvb_register_device: register adapter0/net0 @ minor: 7 (0x07) - dvbdev: f68e2580

Maybe my card is broken or it is a newer card with some other chips on it
so it does not get detected reliable.

Holger (Kiehl)