[linux-dvb] Re: Nice solutions

Am Don, 2003-06-19 um 15.15 schrieb Ashley Evans:
> On Thursday 19 June 2003 1:26 pm, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> > >
> > > No. Freeview expect to implement the full 7-day EPG (like there was in
> > > the OnDigital days...) "sometime soon"

> > > Not at present - again, there are a couple of 'works in progress', but
> > > nothing of usable quality yet.
> > >
> > > The standard solution for such things is "just buy an overpriced full
> > > DVB card and stop crying" :/
> >
> > Or a cheap DXR3/Hollywood H+ from ebay ...
> >
> > Rene
>
> Can I, with an mpeg2 card, have the output of vdr on my desktop?
>
> And are we all agreed that there is no chance of getting any kind of programme
> listings via DVB in the UK?

Another idea what you can do is what I have done on a server I'm maintaining:

I've setup VDR with compile-option "DEBUG_OSD=1" (which displays OSD on terminal).

So budget cards can be used. I added the client/server-streaming plugin which
provides live-tv streamed by http (http://serverip:port/channelnumber).

Then I patched VDRADMIN (http://www.bartschnet.de/vdradmin-0.23-streamdev-patch.bz2)
to have a additional link "Live" in the "What's running now" section, which points
to the corresponding http-address of that channel.

(VDRADMIN is a webfront to VDR based on Perl and Telnet-connection to VDR).

On the client you need a java-script capable browser and a media-player bound to
"video/mpeg" mime-type. So you can see EPG and get the live-TV by one click.

You can realize this solution on one machine by using loop-back device, of course.

(If you don't have EPG by satelite in the UK, you could feed it into VDR by using
XMLTV).

Rene