[linux-dvb] Re: xawtv-3.88 with SAA7146(KNC1)

Hello Doug,

anyways, Yes, I finally figure it out mine is a KNC1, and luckly looks
like almost working. see!
#lsmod
Module Size Used by
dvb-saa7146 75136 0
Some background informations: the KNC1 is a budget card (ie. it has no mpeg decoder on it, so you can only get the raw transport stream out of it), but it has a analog video decoder, so you can get analog video (ie. vcr, analog camera) into your machine.

AFAIK the LinuxTV.org official "DVB" driver has very limited KNC1 support build in -- I don't know it if works at all.

You should try the Metzler Brother's version of the DVB driver, because they have should have better KNC1 support build in.

Alternatively, you could get the LinuxTV.org "dvb-kernel" driver and try that one out. When I separated the different drivers (full-featured, budget, budget + analog video) I copied the KNC1 stuff from the Metzler driver. It *should* work, although I haven't tried it because I don't have such a card.

So you could to the project a real favour if you'd try the "dvb-kernel" driver out. You can compile and use it with 2.4, too, simply have a look at the README.

I don't try xawtv any more instead I ran zapping compiled and insalled,
but for some reason I got some error saying
You should get "xawtv" to run first. It's the application that most developers use.

The problem is, that with "DVB" driver and the "old" Video4Linux-1 interface, things were very card-specific, ie. most programs expect the card to behave like a bttv card. "zapping" triggers many of these bugs, some of them have been addressed lately by users.

I don't work on the DVB driver any more, so it's up to the users to fix this.

The "dvb-kernel" driver, however, features Video4Linux-2, which is more cleanly specified. This works flawlessly with "xawtv", I must admit that I haven't tried "zapping" with v4l2 yet.

"zapping_setup_fb:v4l25.c:61: VIDIOC_QUERYCAP ioctl failed," and the
whole debug message is below. :)

Opening device '/dev/video0'.
Querying device capabilities.
-1 = VIDIOC_QUERYCAP(), errno = 22, Invalid argument
zapping_setup_fb:v4l2.c:162: VIDIOC_QUERYCAP ioctl failed,
  probably not a V4L2 device: 22, Invalid argument.
That's no problem here. "zapping" issues an Video4Linux-2 ioctl to see, if the device supports v4l2. Apparently it does not, so the ioctl fails and "zapping" goes on...

Opening video device.
Opening device '/dev/video0'.
Querying device capabilities.
0 = VIDIOCGCAP(name="DVB Board"
type=CAPTURE|TUNER|!TELETEXT|OVERLAY|!CHROMAKEY|CLIPPING|FRAMERAM|SCALES
|!MONOCHROME|!SUBCAPTURE|!MPEG_DECODER|!MPEG_ENCODER|!MJPEG_DECODER|!MJP
EG_ENCODER channels=2 audios=2 maxwidth=768 maxheight=576 minwidth=32
minheight=32)
Using V4L interface.
... and uses the v4l interface instead.

Checking overlay capability.
Getting current FB parameters.
0 = VIDIOCGFBUF(base=0xd5800000 height=600 width=800 depth=16
bytesperline=1600)
Setting new FB parameters.
0 = VIDIOCSFBUF(base=0xd5800000 height=600 width=800 depth=16
bytesperline=1600)
Setup completed.
Line 603, routine main
Line 606, routine main
tvengxv.c: XVideo major_opcode: 143
TVeng: [tveng25.c] p_tveng25_open_device_file (line 142)
VIDIOC_QUERYCAP failed: Invalid argument
TVeng: [tveng2.c] p_tveng2_open_device_file (line 112)
VIDIOC_QUERYCAP failed: Invalid argument
DGA info:
I don't know why "zapping" tries to use the v4l2 interface again...

Does anyone have an idea how i can dodge the muddle? Did I miss some
kernel options enabled?
See above. Either try the Metzler driver (will probably work) or dvb-kernel (will probably not work, but help is appreciated)

CU
Michael.