[linux-dvb] Re: Hello

Brian Korsedal wrote:
Hi,

My company makes DVB-T transmitters and recievers. I want to replace our reciever line with an industrial pc based on VIA eden and a DVB-T reciever card. I was wondering what cards work best under redhat linux 9 and which ones are best for reception?
Redhat kernels can cause compilation problems because they're usually heavily patched and RH does not maintains the proper kernel API versioning scheme. So if you have to stick to RH you might browse the LinuxDVB Mailinglist archives for solutions. Or better use a plain vanilla kernel from http://www.kernel.org/.

You might want to evaluate the following cards:

- Nebula PCI DVB-T with nxt6000 based frontends (bt8xx based)
- Technotrends PCI Nova-T with Grundig- or Philips-frontend
- Technotrends fullfeatured PCI-cards with Grundig frontends
- Technotrends Nova-USB or DEC2000 USB boxes with Alps tdmb7
or Philips frontend

The Grundig Frontends are limited to UHF and can't receive VHF channels. The Philips tda10045 and the nxt6000 can receive both UHF and VHF. And
they are a bit more sensitive.

Note that you need en external (hardware or software) MPEG decoder unless you use the fullfeatured card.

We would love to get one with diversity inputs, but I can't seem to find one. Also, our current products can be tunned in 1/4 Mhz steps. What is the frequency resolution of these cards?
The stepsize is usually 62500, 166667 or 250000kHz, refer to the source for details. But why should you want to know this, after all you should be able to tune to the continous frequency spectrum if the driver is properly coded, right? The AFC is doing the rest...

Holger