[linux-dvb] Re: DVB Newbie

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 09:48:04AM +0100, Chris Pitchford wrote:

> I then built a new, dedicated machine, with fresh OS install and put
> the nova-t in there. I got random gibberish with a little picture on
> most of the channels (infact all the QAM16 multiplexes) and highly
> error prone streams on the rest. dvbstream did not work.

[...]

> I then moved the dvb card back into my workstation where it worked as
> before, ok..ish..

FWIW: So far it's the same here (or at least comparable):

A KNC1 DVB-s card works (a little, some channels) with the Metzlerbros
driver in one workstation but not at all in mine, which is odd 'cause
it was intended for my WS ;-) Both machines are of nearly equal
capabilities (clock: 1GHz, memory 512MB, CPU: AMD Athlon/Duron, VIA
Chip set but different MB-manufacturers) and run exactly the same
operating system (kernel and installation) as they are both disk-less
(OK, they have disks but don't use them ;-)

My guess so far has been that I have weak signals and that there is
more electro-magnetic "smog" in my than in the other computer case.
Unfortunately I have little time to dig into this, so the card has
been quite useless the first two months of it's life.  The 5V-issue
(see Holger Waechtler's posting a few minutes ago "Low Symbol Rate
problem STV0299") also looks interesting.

Michael