[linux-dvb] Re: dvb-bt8xx and net device

Hi Holger,

I checked the code with the Nova-S card today and it worked fine for me (well - at least after fixing the mentioned bug;). I don't have a SkyDSL account so I only checked if there was traffic in promiscous mode. Using dvbtune should work as well but I used the following command sequence:

[first generate a up-to-date channellist using scan]
$ DVB/apps/scan > /tmp/channellist

[then tune to a test transponder]
$ DVB/apps/szap "NS DSL Proxy 1" -c /tmp/channelist

[set up the DVB network interface on PID 0x511 and set a dummy IP adress]
$ DVB/apps/dvbnet/dvbnet -p 0x511
$ /sbin/ifconfig dvb0_0 10.1.1.1

[due to a bug/feature in iptraf we have to enable promiscous mode manually]
$ /sbin/ifconfig dvb0_0 promisc

[now check for traffic using iptraf]
$ iptraf

Since for bt8xx based cards the MAC is not read from EEPROM you have to set it manually there. I must admit that I have not tested this, maybe the bug is located exactly here. You might want to test if the crash still occurs if you configure the mac manually by filling the adapter->proposed_mac field before registering the net device and then not reconfigure the MAC afterwards...

In any case the driver should never ever oops so I'd be very happy if you can help investigating this further.
thanks for all your patience,
	First of all, I always set the MAC address manually because after
ifconfig -a dvb0_0 the mac address was always inited to 0.. Then the
driver actually never oops. It simply "****" up the whole system and I
don't know why..

I made a similar approach as you. I tuned and brought the net device up
with dvbtune
 # dvbtune -f 10773250 -p H -s 22000 -n 251 -i
I get a long list of service available at the Astranet frequence and I
try to use the T-DSL proxy service (pid 251). Finally the net device is
successfully setup.
 # ifconfig dvb0_0 10.0.1.1
and the net device is running.. The mac is also set correctly as I
hardcoded it in the add_if net code.
 # iptraf -d dvb0_0
gets me lots of UDP packages but before I can actually start the proxy
service, the system hangs and nothing can't be done anymore. If you're
lucky you get data lost because the hd buffers weren't flushed..

So after that I am pretty sure that this nasty bug isn't related with
setting the mac address. As I said before, I always set the mac before
using the net device and ifconfig -a dvb0_0 showed me that everything
went fine. It must be in some way related to the hardware as you're nova
s seems to work and Stefan reported the same problem as me with a
pinnacle card.
As you're familiar with the dvb interface, is there a possibilty that a
package buffer is flooded with data that actually makes the kernel go
nuts? Or do the bt8xx or pinnacle cards have to be setup for receiving
network packages? I will try to take a further at the net code - at
least I get more and more familiar with it ;)

Thanks,
-André.

--
http://www.steinsoft.net