[linux-dvb] confused about DVB drivers

Hi,

I have installed the DVB driver linux-dvb.2003-06-08.tar.bz2 that can be downloaded from the VDR site
(http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr/download.htm)

The actual version 1.2.1 of vdr always terminates immediately with "segmentation fault".

At the vdr mailing list, noone seems to have the same problem, thus I suppose that something with the way I installed the driver may be wrong. szap and xawtv work with the driver.

I have SuSE-kernel 2.4.19-4GB. Is that okay?

I read that there is a "HEAD" driver and a "kernel" driver, and don't know which one the above mentioned driver is. I was told the kernel driver needs a special videodev.o. If necessary, from where do i get it for my kernel?

I want to make timeshift with only one full-featured DVB Card. Are both driver types able to do that with vdr?

Has anyone an idea why vdr could terminate immediately with a segmentation fault? DVB driver and vdr were compiled without errors. Up to now, my hardware didn't make any problems with linux. Why can everybody else work with the driver and vdr, but not me? I only know what I found in the INSTALL texts of driver and vdr. Are there additional steps necessary that are selfunderstood for everybody (except me)? I am no programmer.

Sorry that I have so much questions, but I wasn't able to find the answers in the internet. I have already spent 20-30 hours in installing and testing driver and vdr, and don't know when it will end if I don't get help.

A little desperate ...

Walter