[linux-dvb] Re: confused about DVB drivers

Walter Schittek wrote:
> I have installed the DVB driver linux-dvb.2003-06-08.tar.bz2 that can
> be downloaded from the VDR site
> (http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr/download.htm)
>
> The actual version 1.2.1 of vdr always terminates immediately with
> "segmentation fault".
>
> At the vdr mailing list, noone seems to have the same problem, thus I
> suppose that something with the way I installed the driver may be
> wrong. szap and xawtv work with the driver.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Apparently the driver is ok. You have a problem with vdr.

> I have SuSE-kernel 2.4.19-4GB. Is that okay?

Should be ok, if the driver compiles and loads without errors.

> I read that there is a "HEAD" driver and a "kernel" driver, and don't
> know which one the above mentioned driver is. I was told the kernel
> driver needs a special videodev.o. If necessary, from where do i get
> it for my kernel?

Forget about that unless you really know what you are doing.
Playing with different drivers will not solve your problem.

> I want to make timeshift with only one full-featured DVB Card. Are
> both driver types able to do that with vdr?

Yes. Do you have a DVB-S, DVB-T or DVB-C? Which version?

> Has anyone an idea why vdr could terminate immediately with a
> segmentation fault? DVB driver and vdr were compiled without errors.

Did you try vanilla vdr without any plugins/patches?
Does the /video directory exist?
/video must not reside on a (V)FAT partition!
Did you copy the *.conf files to /video?

Try to run vdr manually (as root):
cd .../DVB/driver
make insmod
(now you should see the convergence logo on your tv set)

cd .../vdr-1.2.1
./vdr
Does vdr still crash?

Oliver

P.S.:
Please let's discuss vdr problems on the vdr mailing list.