[linux-dvb] Re: VP-1020

Jamie Honan wrote:
Rather than that ...

Can you get one of the drivers from xusa
http://www.usa-x.org/forum/modules.php?name=Downloads

(Unfortunately they are kernel version specific e.g. the kernel
with RH 7.1). Also, I'm not sure they actually work :(

(actually, it wouldn't take much to emulate the driver)

Then use strace.

strace doesn't help much with ioctls, so to improve the information
add/replace with the contents of
http://members.optushome.com.au/jhonan/dst/dst-strace-ioctl.tar.gz
to the source of strace.

With strace, only bother with open,close and ioctl. Also be sure
to follow forks.

In any case, I reckon what you'll see is

1. the DST-CI coming back from the driver.

2. a big fat 0x14 / 0x15 ioctl which is some sort of read / write
to the CI module. That will be the beast!

Simple to say, tedious to do.
Waaaay ahead of you there.. The driver they provide does not work with my card, it fails the tuner ioctl.. I'm now looking to get RH 7.1 which is what they compiled it up with, but with the serious bandwidth cap/cost up here it's not worth me downloading it so I'm looking for a copy on disk somwehere.

Actually, depending on the phase of the moon when I load it, thier driver detects the card as a CI or FTA randomly. I'm going to try and get hold of the relevant redhat kernel and try that on a spare machine.

I'm also having an interesting dialog with twinhan at the moment..
More to follow as things unfold.

Dialog!? Biting tongue to prevent screaming. Threats of
consumer watchdogs for false advertising?
Funny you should mention that.. all of the above pretty much.

It's a funny dilemma I find myself in. On one hand I have shelled out about 325 AED for this card and would like it to work.
On the other, the manufacturer is not being helpful and actively lying about thier support and drivers for the card, therefore I don't want it to work and I don't want anyone to buy thier hardware..
What to do...

Brad