[linux-dvb] Re: dvb kernel

> Can you give a bit more info on the Twinhan driver?
> What's the current status and where do I get the latest
> sources? Do you have the documentation on the I2C format?
>
> I'm pretty new to all this DVB stuff and I'm basically
> looking for a good starting point.

Holger mentions where I am putting my temporary works-in-progress.

From what you are asking, I think you are asking more generally
about dvb-kernel etc.

In general, the dvb-kernel CVS is the latest bleeding edge.
It's not quite obvious where it is, but
http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/
shows how the check it out. I use the dvb-kernel tree.

There are a bunch of apps in the DVB tree, for command line
testing, getting channels etc.

You apply the files in my tarball into the dvb-kernel stuff
you check out, until it is checked into CVS. We really are very close
to checking in.

Pay close attention to the README's. When the dst / bt878 stuff
is added, there won't be any patches to the bttv driver, but
you will need to get the latest bttv driver up and working : either
of 2.4 with a bunch of other bytesex.org patches, or
simply by using the latest 2.6 test7 kernel tree.

If you can possibly, the 2.6 tree is the best way. Some things
are a little different at first, but for especially for multimedia,
it is worthwhile.

If you want to get up to speed here are some things to do:

- keep working on understanding the Twinhan terrestial card. We are
getting help now from Twinhan, but we've still got to rely on ourselves

- get the latest bttv driver going. Confirm it won't hang your system.

- get the dvb-kernel stuff going, familiarise a bit. Look at my dst
tarball and see how they modify the current bt8xx stuff and how they fit
the general frontend / driver pattern. Note that there are a lot of
differences in the latest (11 Oct) version.

I hope I am on the right track with what you want to know, and I'm
not stating the obvious.

And ask questions! I think I can say for this list nobody minds anyone who
has genuinely tried to solve a problem and turns here for help.

Jamie